Filipino Ukoy - Squash & Bean Sprout Fritters With Shrimp
Note:Dried shrimp can be found at Asian markets.
1 1/2 pounds kabocha squash, unpeeled
1/2 cup baby dried shrimp
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound bean sprouts
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
* Wash and quarter squash and remove seeds. Coarsely grate squash
and carrots in food processor or with hand grater. Transfer to large
bowl and add baby dried shrimp, shrimp, bean sprouts, green onions,
salt and pepper.
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon pepper
* Combine soy sauce, vinegar, onion, garlic and pepper and mix well.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/2 cups water
Oil for frying
* Combine flour, salt, eggs, cayenne and water and mix thoroughly.
* Add batter to Squash and mix well. Form into palm-size 2-inch-thick
* Heat 1/4 inch oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry fritters until
golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
* Spoon Sauce over fritters.
About 15 palm-size fritters.
Please submit recipes to: firstname.lastname@example.org